Exhibitions

PERMANENT EXHIBITION


Our permanent exhibition features an outstanding collection of objects connected to: 

 

  • The establishment of the 18th-century Pennsylvania settlements of Nazareth, Bethlehem, and Lititz, as well as the Salem settlement in North Carolina.

  • The significant contributions Moravians made to music, art, education and culture in early America.

 

Highlights include: 

  • Six oil paintings by John Valentine Haidt (1700-1780), the first artist in colonial America to portray chiefly religious topics.

  • The Antes violin: the earliest-known violin made in the American Colonies.

  • A 1776 pipe organ made by David Tannenberg, the most important organ-builder of his time.

  • A rare 18th-century rifle made by Andreas Albrecht at the Moravian settlement of Christian's Spring.

 

These items are shown together with textiles, furniture, photographs, maps, guns, tile and iron stoves, case clocks, and much, much more!

 

CHANGING EXHIBITION

 

Hall Boys:

Student Life at Nazareth Hall

 

Hall Boys: Student Life at Nazareth Hall presents the daily life of students from classes and exams, to sports and extracurricular activities with documents, pictures, and objects from the students who lived and learned there. 

Highlights include:

  • Handwritten letters penned by some of the first students to attend Nazareth Hall.

  • Original student uniforms, exams, schedules, and furniture from Nazareth Hall. 

  • Grandfather clock designed by local clockmaker Ralph "Rudy" Stoner (1728-1769) and which belong to Rev. Samuel J. Blum, who served as Nazareth Hall principal from 1897 until his retirement in 1916. 

The inception of Nazareth Hall can be traced back to July 18, 1743, when John and Christina Franke, John Heyne, and ten boys began a school for boys in the 1740 Gray Cottage. Over its 180 years in operation, closing only for a brief period of six years due to economic hardship, Nazareth Hall was at the forefront of progressive education in America. The Hall was one of the first institutions of learning to teach subjects such as geography in 1785, and bookkeeping, surveying, industrial drawing in the 1850's. On June 12, 1929, Nazareth Hall would close forever, lowering its flag for the very last time. 

For more information about the exhibition, please contact Susan Orr at sorr@moravianhistory.org.

A reception for the exhibition will be held on

Sunday, September 15 at 4 p.m. Architect, Benjamin L. Walbert will lecture on the history and architectural design of Nazareth Hall. Light refreshments, including non-alcoholic options will be available after the lecture.

 

For more information about the reception, please contact events@moravianhistory.org.

Visit us today to enjoy these popular exhibitions!

Open 7 days a week, 1–4 p.m.

The Moravian Historical Society • 214 E. Center St. Nazareth, PA 18064 •  (610) 759-5070  •  info@moravianhistory.org

©2018 by the Moravian Historical Society.